Friday, January 21, 2011

SharePoint 2007 Approval Workflow US Date format in Emails

I am using SharePoint 2007 with SP2 in a 64bit environment. The SharePoint Server regional settings are set to English (UK) and the SharePoint site I am using is also set English UK settings. I am also using the out-of-the-box approval workflow so you would expect that any dates are shown in UK format both in the workflow history and in emails sent by the workflow.

Wrong. They display in US format (MM/dd/yyyy).

Now when I Googled this I found this site which suggested it is fixed in the October 2008 Cumulative update. Indeed the Microsoft support page explicitly states as fixed "Sharepoint workflow notification e-mail messages do not use locale date and time formats".

Wrong again.

Maybe it was fixed back in October 2008 (pre SP2) but I can tell you it's not working post SP2. I raised a support call with Microsoft and proved that the dates are indeed in US format when they shouldn't be.

You require the August 2010 Cumulative Update from Microsoft to be applied to get this to work. Once the hotfix is applied then it all works prefectly with the due date correctly appearing in UK format both in the workflow history and in the emails. This even works on workflows that are in flight before you applied the hotfix.

While I am glad to have a solution, Microsoft should be ashamed that something as basic as this has had to be fixed twice. Zero points, Microsoft!

No comments: